1. The Country Boy long ago frightened any pigeon who might have the misfortune of sitting on our old windowsill, but they still roost on the smokestacks of the building across the way.
2. Our old living room window offered views of La Défense, where most of Paris’ office buildings are. If that garret window hadn’t been there, we’d also have clear views of the Eiffel Tower…
3. … which we got, only once, when we climbed out onto our roof on the night of the 14th of July.
4. All in all, it was a pretty good view during the day.
5. But absolutely nothing could beat those sunsets.